Monday, May 30, 2011

Are you a money manager or a money watcher? Step 2 "How do you feel about money?"

Growing up, my mom was pretty savvy with money.  She was responsible with her finances and did fairly well for a single parent on a secretary's income.  It seemed as though we always had enough money and I didn't go without.  My mom also did her best to teach me the value of a dollar, if I wanted something extra I had to buy it myself or pay the difference.  I delivered newspapers from the time I was 13 and then worked a more glamorous job at McDonald's when I turned 16.

I grew up when Star Jeans and Moon Jeans were in style.  These jeans were $25-30 and my mom wasn't going to buy them for me, they were just too expensive and in her eyes, unnecessary.

Another time when I was 14 my mom bought me a bike for my birthday.  It was a great bike, but it didn't have the coolest looking parts.  As soon as I brought it  home from the store I started making changes to it, and this took up a majority of my discretionary money.  I started with a new set of handlebars and then a new seat and pedals until eventually I had an entire new bike.  All of my money went into transforming this bike into the coolest bike in the neighborhood, or so I thought.  The unfortunate thing, with such frivolous spending I never really learned how to be more disciplined with my money.  All my money went to me, and I spent every last penny.

Looking back on that time in my life I wish I was a bit more disciplined.  Not only would I have more money but I would have learned earlier to save money no matter what the scenario.

Jody was raised a little differently.  She didn't work a regular job but if her and her siblings kept their grades up they would have the right to ask for money if they needed it, within reason.  If they needed some money for a movie or some clothes he would give it to them.  Her dad was a salesman and some months were more plentiful than others.  He would tell them at the beginning of the month if they could ask for money or not.  This worked for their family.

Growing up there's a scripting that happens in your home depending on how the financial decision makers, usually your parents, made financial decisions.  In some cases this will affect you the rest of your life, for good or not-so-good.  If you grew up with some bad financial habits you can make necessary changes.  I want to ask you How do you feel about money?  Or, what is your relationship to money?  The way you answer this series of questions can change your life and turn your finances around.  I found a quiz online that will help you answer these all-important questions.  Please take a few minutes to respond to this quiz and I promise it will help you determine your relationship to money and help you make some necessary adjustments.

Thank you for your continued support, we work to assist you in getting your finances in order.  If you would like to see a particular topic covered please let us know.

Greg and Jody Roche
Be Frugal Live Wealthy
http://www.befrugallivewealthy.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment